Sunday, June 15, 2014

Top Three Finish for Boyd and Shamwari at Luhmuehlen CCI****

Photo by Jenni Autry for EventingNation.com

First I’d like to thank the USEF for the grant to help Shamwari get here to Germany. Without question this is one of the most competitive horse trials in the world and it’s a real honor to represent the United States here at this competition. Secondly I’d like to thank the all of the owners for getting behind me and the horses. Both Silva and I have felt wonderful support from both the group that made the trip over and those back in the States, cheering us on.

 Otis put in a good performance; I must say we are a little bit rusty having not competed at this level for a good while and this showed up in all three phases. However Otis has always been a favorite of mine and it was wonderful being back in the saddle at this level with him once again.

Shamwari was sensational! Without question this is one of the classiest horses I’ve ever sat on, in all three phases. It felt amazing jumping him around cross-country and show jumping. He has confirmed my belief that he’s one of the world’s best event horses and I’m thrilled to put in a top three finish on him, which I think leaves us in good standing for the World Equestrian Games.

Happy syndicate members and Silva's family after awards ceremony
Obviously I had a rotten preparation for this event, breaking my leg at Southern Pines, but I had wonderful people around me. At the top of the list is Silva and beyond that Caitlin Silliman for doing all the dressage work and Phillip Dutton for jumping and competing Shamwari while I was sidelined. Thanks always to Lindsey Taylor who keeps everything in order and takes care of the horses like they're her own.

My leg is not fully healed and strong at the moment and is still causing a fair bit of pain, so thanks also to Phillip for trotting both horses up. I’d like to send a shout-out to my phsyio, Chris Dougherty, who’s been working hard over the past six weeks to prepare me for this goal.

Sadly the event also had terrible tragedies, with Ben Winter passing away after a fall on cross-country. It was extraordinary how all the riders, officials and spectators bonded together and mourned this terrible loss. On top of that both Silva and I feel terrible for Jordan’s family and friends, and those associated with the horse Liberal.

 Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful emails, texts and Facebook messages sending support for the Americans competing at Luhmuehlen this weekend. First thing tomorrow morning we’re heading back to the US and getting back to work. First, it’s time to enjoy a glass of good German beer with our support group. 

Cheers,

 Boyd

Check out full coverage including a video interview with Boyd and Phillip on EventingNation.com:

http://eventingnation.com/home/tim-price-wins-luhmuhlen-cci4-boyd-martin-finishes-3rd/

No comments:

Post a Comment